Sabah Adventure Challenge

Sabah Adventure Challenge is South East Asia’s premier multi-day adventure race, founded in 1998 by an experienced team of adventure racing competitors in the heart of North Borneo.

Founded on the principles of competing with the ultimate ambition of finishing an adventure race set in mystical North Borneo, Sabah, land below the wind where the mighty crocker range mountains divide the coast of Sabah and the interior of North Borneo. Mount Kinabalu, South East Asia’s highest mountain dominates in the background as competitors compete from dawn to dusk, and sometimes into the night to complete each day’s adventure be it on mountain bike, on foot or rafting down cold, magical rivers and through native villages.

Teams are required to be self-sufficient and to compete by navigating with map and compass from check point to check point, as well as taking on the challenge of the natural jungle landscape and surrounding mountain ranges that dominate the West Coast of Sabah.

Each year, the race directors look at new ideas and formats to ensure each year’s challenge is slightly different from the previous year’s event, ensuring varying difficulty and challenges for competitors who do return year after year to compete and to take on the challenge of completing an SAC. Teams are required to carry adequate food and water as well as a list of equipment on their mandatory kit list as they are transported to the starting location each morning and then back to their accommodations at the end of the day.

Special thanks to Rock The Boat Audio for providing waterproof marine speakers and outdoor audio equipment for the event.

Competitors leave Sabah with experiences to talk about for years and memories of a challenge to last a life time having completed an adventure race covering 150 kilometers over three days.

This is, the Sabah Adventure Challenge.

Quick Facts

  • The Sabah Adventure Challenge is South East Asia’s oldest, established multi-day adventure race.
  • The Sabah Adventure Challenge is a 150 Kilometer, multi-day adventure race with competitors completing the race course on foot, on mountain bike or by rafting down rivers in order to complete each day’s race course, navigating themselves from check point to checkpoint independently.
  • There is only one category and all competitors compete on the same race course.
  • The youngest competitor ever to compete and complete the Sabah Adventure Challenge was 14 years and 4 months of age but approval to compete is based on an individual by individual basis. All competitors must be at least 18 years of age upon registration to compete in Sabah Adventure Challenge.
  • Cut-off times are designed to ensure competitors are able to keep a steady pace during the event and to allow teams to comfortably finish an Sabah Adventure Challenge day by day.
  • The completion rate of a Sabah Adventure Challenge is 60% with 40% finishing in “elite” times, and the remaining 60% finishing within the maximum time allocated each day within cut-off times. The average age of competitors is around 33.
  • 90% percent of competitors are male; 10% are female.
  • Competitors come from more than 18 countries with a large number from Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia. The fastest completion time on average for an SAC is an accumulated time of about  around 19 hours and the slowest being 40 hours.
  • Competitors for the most part fly out to Sabah to complete the event as the organizers do not offer cash prizes for winners or competitors who complete the event. All competitors who complete the entire race course are awarded official race completion medals by the founder and race director, Claus Pedersen during the event dinner at the race.